The Way of Peace Awards images by Richard D. Iyall, Cowlitz and Mike Rhodes. The Child’s Award went to Danay Ferguson, presented by Nancy Hatcher, for Ferguson’s record-breaking book donation drive. The reading was by poet, Dixie Salazar. The Youth Award went to Simone Cranston-Rhodes, presented by Dan Yaseen, for her work on tenants rights. One Adult Award went to Hannah Brandt, editor of Community Alliance, presented by Mike Rhodes. Another Adult Award to Ron Vineyard, presented by Angela Price, for Vineyard’s work at the Center for Nonviolence. Presented by Yellowfeather Noriega, the Organization Award went to WINGS, a group that furnishes apartments for people who have recently experienced homelessness. Noriega was the first person who benefitted from WINGS services.
More info on the people and organizations:
- The Fresno Center for Nonviolence: http://centerfornonviolence.org/
- Danay Ferguson: http://calnorth.org/content/reading-heart-how-you-can-help-danay-ferguson/
- Dixie Salazar: http://dixiesalazar.com/
- Tenants Together: http://www.tenantstogether.org/campaigns/fresno-coalition-healthy-housing
- WINGS: http://www.wingsfresno.org/